Namaqua Quest | 3 Day Mountain Bike Stage Race
INDULGE IN NATURE’S MOST MAGICAL DISPLAY OF COLOUR AND BEAUTY
When: 31 August – 2 September 2018
Where: Springbok, Namaqualand
Race Village: Jakkalswater Guest Farm (between Springbok and Nababeep), Namaqualand, Northern Cape
What: South Africa’s most colourful 3 day MTB stage race
Entries: Limited to 250 cyclists
ENTRY OPTIONS & COSTS
- Please note that NO REFUNDS of entry fees will be done after 28 February 2018.
- Cancellations before 28 February 2018 will be subject to a 15% cancellation fee.
- Substitutions will be allowed until 03 August 2018 at 11:00am.
- The full amount must be paid within 48 hours after entering. All unpaid entries will be removed from the entry system after the 48 hours.
Entry Fee: 3 Day Stage Race – R3 500 per person
3 Day Cycling excluding accommodation and meals but including Saturday scrumptuous prize giving lunch, goodie bag, medal, chill zone access, medical services, etc.
Entry Fee: 3 Day Stage Race LITE – R3 450 per person
3 Day Cycling the LITE route excluding accommodation and meals but including Saturday scrumptuous prize giving lunch, goodie bag, medal, chill zone access, medical services, etc.
Payment Plan available until 28 February 2018 : Pay 50% when entering online and the other 50% anytime before 30 April 2018. No refund of the deposit will be done.
Same cancellation rules apply as stated above.
Single Day Race: 51km (Sunday) – R280 per person
The entry fee includes the scrumptuous prize giving lunch on the Saturday.
Single Day Race: 20km (Sunday) – R250 per person
The entry fee includes the scrumptuous prize giving braai on the Saturday
Single Day Race: 5km fun ride (Sunday – FREE
No giving braai is included but it can be booked additionally when entering.
Additional (optional) packages and merchandise
- Meals Package (8 meals) – R1040 per person (the meal package can also be booked for family and supporters)
- Extra prize giving braai for family and friends – R120 per person
- Camping at race village for 4 nights with your own tent – R400 per person (NOT per tent)
- Budget dome tent – R1000 per person for 4 nights (no sharing required) Each person will receive his/her own tent with one mattress. You must bring your own bedding and camping gear.
- Luxury tent for 4 nights – R5950 per tent for two people. The luxury tent includes two single beds, all linen, own private shower and toilet , bedside tables, 2 chairs, dressing table, clothing rack and a power point. The luxury tents have to be booked with Rush Adventures directly. Only 30 luxury tents are available. Contact Rush at at 011-9633049 | email@example.com
- Bike Service Plan – R1350 (see details below)
- Namaqua Quest acket – to be confirmed
REGISTRATIONS, RACE BRIEFING AND START TIMES
- Registration will be from 16h00 to 20h00 on Thursday, 30 Augustus.
- No registrations on race morning.
- Race and stage briefing at 19h00 every evening at dinner as well as on the morning before the stage start.
- Compulsory gear check will be 15 minutes before the start of each stage.
BIKE SERVICE AND SUPPORT
Bike Service Plan – Three days @ R 1450 for all 3 days
If your bike is part of the maintenance plan, you just bring it in after your ride and fetch it later, serviced and cleaned. If in the process of looking your bike over and we detect a problem, you will be notified with a quote.
Your bike will be seen to on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday after the race and the service includes the following:
- Setting of Gears & Breaks
- Checking of Bottom Bracket, Headset & Wheels
- Checking and tightening of all bolts.
- Includes the labour to replace any small parts such as gear cables and brake pads.
- Free bike wash
- 10% discount on all parts All parts and other expenses will be charged at normal workshop prices and labour rates
Ad Hoc service and repairs
For participants handling their own basic maintenance and cleaning, we will still gladly look after the more serious issues.
You can bring your bike to the service area, and let us know what you want fixed. In all cases, parts are not included. Parts will be available but it advisable to supply your own parts as we cannot cater for all different brands and models.
We strongly recommend that you please bring along spare parts for your bike’s specific components. All maintenance work is to be paid for by either cash or EFT before the bike is released.
Studies show that massages increases recovery and improves performance in multi-stage events (and it feels great!) so you will be in good, experienced hands for your daily “fix”.
Please book directly with Calson Massage Clinic:
Cell : 082 785 7623
30 minute Therapy Session
3 treatments (Day 1,2, & 3) @ R700 total
2 treatments ( whichever of the 3 days) @ R500 total
1 treatment (whichever of the 3 days) @ R250 total
45 minute Therapy Session
3 treatments (Day 1,2, & 3) @ R910 total
2 treatments ( whichever of the 3 days) @ R640 total
1 treatment (whichever of the 3 days) @ R320 total
60 minute Therapy Session
3 treatments (Day 1,2, & 3) @ R1150 total
2 treatments ( whichever of the 3 days) @ R800 total
1 treatment (whichever of the 3 days) @ R400 total
Day 1: Schaap River
- FULL: 68km (start is at 07:30am)
- LITE: 39km (start is at 07:40am)
Day 2: Goegap
- FULL: 55km (start is at 07:30am)
- LITE: 35km (start is at 07:40am)
Day 3: Old Copper Rail
- FULL: 51km (start is at 08:00am)
- LITE: 20km
The routes for each day have been designed so that they offer riders great trails, spectacular scenery and beautiful flowers.
As with any good mountain bike trail, there will be a mix of everything… tough climbs, fast downhills, a few technical sections, sand and loads of free-flowing sections for pure riding bliss!
- Prize giving lunch/braai is included in all entry options
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner will only be served to those who have chosen the meal package.
- Extra meal packages and prize giving lunches (for family and friends) can be booked and paid for with your online entry.
- Meals will be the typical, finger licking good, generous servings of food that Namaqualand is just as famous for as it’s flowers!
If you choose the camping option, you have to bring your own tent, mattresses, pillows, camping gear, etc.
There are no electricity in the camping area (excluding luxury tents) but there will be charging stations in the race village.
No items with elements are allowed (kettle, stove, hair drier etc)
There will be clean ablution facilities.
Extra camping can be booked for family & friends at R400 per person for the 4 nights.
The luxury tent option in the race village has to be booked with Rush Adeventures directly.
Those who are not keen on the camping option can book their own accommodation at one of the numerous guesthouses and hotels in the Springbok area. Please just keep in mind that it is peak flower season so accommodation will be limited and expensive so book well in advance!
- Waterproof jacket
- “Wind proof” shell
- Space blanket
- Cell phone with the emergency number (082 579 7595) saved on it
- 2 litres of water
- Mini first aid kit – Strap, elastic bandage, anti-cramp tablets, anti-histamine, wound dressing, disinfectant.
You must carry a card with all your medical details on it such a Doctor’s telephone number, Medical insurance number, emergency telephone number and contact name, blood group, any allergies etc. This must be inside a sealed ziplock bag and on your person.
Rain/cold weather – You will NOT be allowed to go out onto the trails without any of this if the weather is foul. We will make that decision on the morning of the run – ensure you have it available!
“Water proof” rain jacket [Please note that a “wind proof” shell is NOT necessarily a “Rain proof” jacket, although a rain jacket is wind proof…] PLEASE make sure you understand the difference between the 2 garments – test it! We will have no hesitation turning you away if you have the incorrect foul weather gear.
Other useful items (not compulsory):
Sunblock, sun glasses, small camera, positive attitude and a sense of humour.
Open Men, Open Women, 40+ Men, 40+ Women, 50+ Men, 50+ Women
There will be a total of 3 water stations per day placed at strategic points along the route each day.
SAFETY / MEDICAL
- Comprehensive EMS will be present at the event
- A full medical team will be present at the start of each day to ensure every athlete is fit enough to take part.
- The same medical staff will also be present at the finish of each stage to ensure assistance for any athletes in need.
- Safety and route briefings will be held before the start of each stage.
Each stage race participant will receive an event specific goodie bag including an even t-shirt