Schaap River Canyon Ultra
Run along the river bed of the magnificent Schaap River as it meanders through a majestic canyon carved by the hands of time.
Run where the shy leopard silently roam the weathered canyon walls. Run on jagged trails that guided old copper wagons up Spektakel Pass. Run the lunar landscapes created in an ancient time when everything was a boiling pot of melted granite.
Run the Schaap River Canyon Ultra!
When: 7 September 2019
Where: Springbok, Namaqualand
Race Village: Springbok Inn Country Hotel, Voortrekker Road, Springbok
What: 60km or 100km
ENTRY OPTIONS & COSTS
- Please note that NO REFUNDS of entry fees will be done after 28 February 2019.
- Cancellations before 28 February 2019 will be subject to a 15% cancellation fee.
- Substitutions will be allowed until 15 August 2019.
INCLUDED IN YOUR ENTRY
- An exclusive and unique route (GPS Navigation)
- High quality goodie bag
- High quality race garment
- Registration dinner
- Finish line meal
- Top class race village
- 6 X Fully stocked support tables
- Free coffee and tea zone
- Unique Finishers Medal
- Full Medical Support
Entry Fee: 60km R2200 VAT Excl.
Entry Fee: 100km R2950 VAT Excl.
Payment Plan available until 28 February 2019 : Pay 30% when entering online and the rest anytime before 31 August 2019. No refund of the deposit will be done.
Same cancellation rules apply as stated above.
Additional (optional) packages and merchandise
- Camping at race village for 3 nights with your own tent – R510 (VAT Excl.) per campsite – 4 people max.
- Hotel Accommodation at race village (twin, double or family) – R2850 (VAT Excl.) per room for 3 nights.
REGISTRATIONS, RACE BRIEFING AND START TIMES
- Registration will be from 16h00 to 20h00 on Friday, 6 September 2019.
- No registrations on race morning.
- Race briefing at 19h00 at dinner as well as on the morning before the start.
- Compulsory gear check will be 15 minutes before the start.
Studies show that massages increases recovery and improves performance in multi-stage events (and it feels great!) so you will be in good, experienced hands for your daily “fix”.
More info to follow.
- Registration Dinner is included in your entry.
- Prize Giving lunch can be booked with your entry.
- Meals will be the typical, finger licking good, generous servings of food that Namaqualand is just as famous for as it’s flowers!
Race Village at Springbok Inn Country Hotel, has the following available :
R2 850.00 VAT Excl. per room minimum 3 nights (as part of the Namaqua Quest event)
Rooms available :
Twin Rooms (two single beds)
Double Rooms (double bed)
Family Rooms (double bed and two single beds in one room)
R340 VAT Excl. per campsite for duration of the event.
Max 4 people per campsite.
Each participant will receive an event specific goodie bag including an even t-shirt
LEG 1 – Distance: 20km | Ascent: 238m
CP/WP 1 – Nigramoep Low Water Bridge (cut-off: 11h00)
LEG 2 – Distance: 9km | Ascent: 236m
CP/WP 2 – Leopards Den at Canyon Exit
LEG 3 – Distance 8km | Ascent: 347m
CP/WP 3 – Plaatjies Laagte Farm (cut-off: 16h00)
LEG 4 – Distance 14km | Ascent: 425m
CP/WP 4 – Pump Station, Toringberg
LEG 5 – Distance: 11km | Ascent: 155m
FINISH: Springbok Inn Country Hotel (cut-off: 22h00 (15 hours)
LEG 1 – Distance: 25km | Ascent: 494m
CP/WP 1 – Witwater Farmhouse
LEG 2 – Distance: 12.7km | Ascent: 171m
CP/WP 2 – Skaap Rivier Farm House
LEG 3 – Distance 15.6km | Ascent: 261m
CP/WP 3 – Nigramoep Low Water Bridge (cut-off: 15h00)
LEG 4 – Distance 8.7km | Ascent: 236m
CP/WP 4 – Leopards Den, Canyon Exit (cut-off: 17h30)
LEG 5 – Distance: 8.1km | Ascent: 347m
CP/WP 5 – Plaatjies Laagte Farm House (cut-off: 20h00)
LEG 6 – Distance: 13.8km | Ascent: 425m
CP/WP6 – Pump Station, Toringberg
LEG 7 – Distance: 15.8km | Ascent: 243m
FINISH: Springbok Inn Country Hotel (cut-off: Sunday, 07h00)
ROUTE ELEVATION PROFILES
To be confirmed
Open Men, Open Women, 40+ Men, 40+ Women, 50+ Men, 50+ Women
- Waterproof jacket
- Fully charged GPS device with pre-loaded route maps.
- Headlight with spare batteries
- “Wind proof” shell
- Space blanket
- Cell phone with the emergency number saved on it
- 2 litres of water
- Mini first aid kit – Strap, elastic bandage, anti-cramp tablets, anti-histamine, wound dressing, disinfectant.
- You must carry a card with all your medical details on it such a Doctor’s telephone number, Medical insurance number, emergency telephone number and contact name, blood group, any allergies etc. This must be inside a sealed ziplock bag and on your person.
Rain/cold weather – You will NOT be allowed to go out onto the trails without any of this if the weather is foul. We will make that decision on the morning of the run – ensure you have it available!
“Water proof” rain jacket [Please note that a “wind proof” shell is NOT necessarily a “Rain proof” jacket, although a rain jacket is wind proof…] PLEASE make sure you understand the difference between the 2 garments – test it! We will have no hesitation turning you away if you have the incorrect foul weather gear.
Drop Bags- (100km ultra only)
Runners are allowed to pre-pack one bag (max 30L size) that will be transported to the halfway point on the 100km route. You can use this bag to stock up with items like extra nutrition, food, clean running gear, spare batteries, etc
You will be issued with a ID tag at registration. On the morning of the race, please check it in at the bag drop zone in the race village at least an hour before the race start. This bag will be taken to the the 3rd support point at the 55km mark.
Your Drop Bag will be brought back to the finish for collection from 22h00 on Saturday night.
SAFETY / MEDICAL
- Comprehensive EMS will be present at the event
- A full medical team will be present at the start of each day to ensure every athlete is fit enough to take part.
- The same medical staff will also be present at the finish of each stage to ensure assistance for any athletes in need.
- Safety and route briefings will be held before the start of each stage.